if you’re like me, you did a little over-indulging this past weekend. oops. to help bring us back to normal, i’m planning to make some lighter dinners this week, and this one is on the menu. i made it a few weeks ago and added italian turkey sausage, an onion and green beans, which made it a bit heartier, but i know it would be just as good if you prepared it without the meat. i neglected to take any photos, so you’ll just have to trust me that it looks good and tastes great too.
– 5 1/4 c vegetable broth (i used chicken broth since i was adding meat)
– 1 (14.5 oz) can italian-style stewed tomatoes
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 1 (16 oz) package of cheese tortellini, thawed
– 10 oz spinach, rinsed and chopped
– 1/2 package of frozen green beans
– 1 white onion, chopped
– 1 lb. sausage (i used turkey sausage)
– parmesan cheese for topping
bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. add tortellini and bring to a boil; reduce heat slightly and boil for 7 minutes, adding the spinach for the last minute. drain and add the tomatoes, green beans, and broth (and browned sausage and onion if you wish); simmer for 20 minutes. enjoy!